Each year on the third weekend of August, we celebrate all things self-care!
Self-care can mean different things to different people – but we think the following two definitions say it the best.
- The practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own physical and mental health.
- The practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own wellbeing and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.
In simple terms, self-care is caring for yourself in order to protect your overall health, wellbeing, and sense of happiness. In doing so, we can help to prevent certain mental health challenges from reaching a crisis point.
What does self-care look like in the real world?
A good self-care routine will incorporate elements from the following three areas of health:
- Physical Health: Maintaining good hygiene, eating healthily, exercising regularly, and getting the recommended 7-12 hours of sleep each night.
- Mental Health: Setting aside time to relax, being creative, and staying aware of your thoughts and emotions.
- Spiritual Health: Forgiving others, taking time to reflect on your life and feelings, meditation/prayer, and practising gratitude.
We hope that the resources provided on this page can help you not only better understand what self-care is, but help you start implementing good self-care practices into your daily life.
Download Your 2023 Self-Care Packet
Everything you need to celebrate this year’s International Weekend of Self-Care – all bundled up in downloadable packet!