Self-care can mean different things to different people – but we think the following two definitions say it the best.
- The practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own physical and mental health.
- The practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own wellbeing and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.
In simple terms, self-care is caring for yourself in order to protect your overall health, wellbeing, and sense of happiness. In doing so, we can help to prevent certain mental health challenges from reaching a crisis point.
What does self-care look like in the real world?
A good self-care routine will incorporate elements from the following three areas of health:
- Physical Health: Maintaining good hygiene, eating healthily, exercising regularly, and getting the recommended 7-12 hours of sleep each night.
- Mental Health: Setting aside time to relax, being creative, and staying aware of your thoughts and emotions.
- Spiritual Health: Forgiving others, taking time to reflect on your life and feelings, meditation/prayer, and practising gratitude.
We hope that the resources provided on this page can help you not only better understand what self-care is, but help you start implementing good self-care practices into your daily life.
This Year’s Theme: Let’s Talk
A crucial aspect of self-care is keeping an open and honest dialogue with both ourselves and the people around us.
This means checking in with yourself by asking questions like, “how am I really feeling today” and “what do I need”. It also means communicating those needs to those around us – for example by setting boundaries, saying “no”, and asking for help when we need it.
You can celebrate this year’s theme of “Let’s Talk” by listening to Lily-Jo’s latest single, “Tell Me How You Feel About That”.
You can also check out the following articles and resources all about facilitating healthy conversations and opening up.
Download Your 2022 Self-Care Packet
Everything you need to celebrate this year’s International Weekend of Self-Care – all bundled up in downloadable packet!
How much do you already know about self-care? Find out by taking the self-care questionnaire and watching the self-care webinar! Sponsored by Unstoppable Life Coaching.
Stories & Advice
Blogs & Resources
Your Self-Care Weekend Playlist
15 Songs to Help You Open Up
Conversations About Self-Care
Love what we do? Why not make a donation to support our continued work in schools and communities worldwide.
Never miss an update by subscribing to our monthly newsletter and mailing list! You can subscribe here for the latest information and inspiration from The Lily-Jo Project.